[Oisf-devel] Github repository changes

Victor Julien victor at inliniac.net
Sat Sep 30 17:43:19 UTC 2017

Ever since we've used github for Suricata development we've used my
personal repository at inliniac/suricata as the main repo. As of today
this has been changed.

The new repository location is OISF/suricata, which lives in the OISF
organization at github.

It is a move of my original repo, so the existing open pull requests
moved to OISF/suricata. Existing URLs should still work, as they are
automatically redirected to the OISF/suricata repository.

Other than it looking better and more professional, this move as the
advantage of the use of github teams we define in the OISF organization.
This means it's going to be easier to assign reviews to team members and
outside contributors. We'll add regular contributors as 'outside
collaborators' so PRs can be assigned to them for review.

For review we've now also enabled the 'CODEOWNERS' logic in github. It
automagically requests for a review from the core team when you do a
pull request.

Like with my personal repository previously at inliniac/suricata, I
remain the only one with rights to pushing to the official branches
(master and master-z.y.x). However in my absence the rest of the team
can create emergency branches and releases.

My personal development branches will live in a new account,
victorjulien/suricata. I could not use my inliniac account for this as
forking OISF/suricata would break the redirect. Apparently forking into
a new name isn't supported by github and 'rename after fork' still
breaks the redirect. So be it. For now you'll see both my accounts
connected to OISF. I'll probably remove 'inliniac' once I'm confident
there will be no side effects.

In the coming weeks we'll try to update all existing documentation
references to inliniac/suricata.

Please let us know if there are any unexpected issues from this move.

Thanks,
Victor