[Oisf-devel] PCAP log VLAN splitting

Peter Manev petermanev at gmail.com
Thu May 10 05:53:57 UTC 2018

> On 10 May 2018, at 02:02, LUIS MANUEL SILVA CASTILLO <luismsilvacastillo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> my client wishes to use Suricata as Packet Capture solution. However, there is an additional request to store packets from VLANs to their respective PCAP file. For instance VLAN 1 -> PCAP_Log_TS_TN_VLAN_1 same for VLAN 2 and so on and so forth. Solution is also to be run on high speed network and needs to be able to cope with up-to 10Gbps link. So far I have tried to use Lua script both at logging and engine but unable to achieve 10G. I can get capture and splitting but writing does not perform as required. My next step would be to try to modify Suricata code to achieve requested feature but I want to ask first if there is any previous work or someone else had done something similar so I can get started.

I would suggest testing the writing first(10gbs writing - sustained, is not so trivial - in my experience anyway). That way you would be able to confirm where the bottle neck is first - writing or anywhere in the post processing.

Are you writing per thread?
Would be interesting to see the lua script if possible.