[Oisf-users] [Snort-sigs] http_header issues, Snort 2.8.5.3

Will Metcalf william.metcalf at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 16:46:12 UTC 2010

I guess it should be noted for any interested parties,  if you are
writing a sig for suricata using snort rule syntax the cookie will be
included as part of the host_header buffer.  We will document this and
other deviations from snort behavior in our release notes or maybe a
separate README included in doc/ .

I continue to send this stuff as I feel that it in every ones best
interest if intended behavior is well documented. It is important to
OISF as we continue to add support for snort rule language but I feel
it is equally as important for snort users and sig writers as well.  I
have gotten sort of side-tracked with documenting the snort
content/modifier behavior but I have some help now so we should wrap
it up pretty soon.

We will make our results available via spreadsheet. We will also make
available  the rules and pcaps used to test so that people can test on
try it on their own if they wish. Maybe the community can keep the
spreadsheet updated between snort releases or something, to alleviate
some of the confusion about how matches/modifiers interact with each
other.  I've even seen older revisions of VRT rules where there was
incorrect use of http_* modifiers appended to multiple content matches
and used in combo with distance/within which isn't supported BTW.  Not
trying to pick on VRT, just trying to point out that it can be really
confusing.

Regards,

Will