[Oisf-users] ip reputation

Kevin Ross kevross33 at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 13 16:35:33 UTC 2010

Hi, and what sort of things can we expect from it? Will it be this IP is in
a bad pool and you can block an IP of a poor rep automatically or increase
the reliability of a sig for a block only like Cisco IPS 7 software or will
it be more advanced?

I remember in the last Hackin9 where you were mentioning about spotting
botnets based on DNS ttls to detect fastflux dns to identify possible
infections? With the compromied, rbn lists etc I find that tracking down
malware which is not getting past the firewall so is just sending SYNs to a
control server is flagged as it doesn't trigger virus sigs as there is no
connection so I think IP reputation is going to be fantastic.

Now if only there was a snort preprocessor or just an addon to take
advantage of this for my home smoothwall.... ;) Once IP reputation is in and
working fine I will probably move over my Snort sensors to securinica (or at
least a few installs aound the place).

Great work though, I never expected it to move so fast to have a release
already and main features appearing within months.
Kev