[Oisf-users] Error when running suricata with --user & --group

Sylvain Chillaud sylvain.chillaud at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 13:51:44 UTC 2010

 Hi there,

I'm trying to get suricata 1.0.2 to run on a debian 5 server.
I've configured and installed without problem (the basic conf for now)
following the guide on the oisf website as well as instructions here
http://www.inliniac.net/blog/2010/05/10/setting-up-suricata-0-9-0-for-initial-use-on-ubuntu-lucid-10-04.html,
but when running the command  :

*suricata -c /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml -i eth1 --user suricata --group
suricata*    I get the following error :

(util-privs.c:86) <Error> (SCDropMainThreadCaps) -- [ERRCODE:
SC_ERR_CHANGING_CAPS_FAILED(155)] - capng_change_id for main thread failed

I'm guessing it is linked to the user and/or group because when I run
*suricata
-c /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml -i eth1*   only, it starts as it should.

It is a minor problem, nothing urgent. Right now I am just on the learning
and testing suricata phase and can run it without user and group, but if
anyone know why it's not working when adding them in the command line, I'd
like to hear the reason, and the solution if there is one.
(I have of course tried to google it and have looked in these archives as
well without results)

Thank you for your help,

Sylvain