[Oisf-users] Suricata File Carving - Malware Detection

Kevin Ross kevross33 at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 11 11:15:59 UTC 2011

I am definitely not suggesting this should be done on the wire or by the
main Suricata processes. What I mean once suricata drops it to disk maybe it
could have a process to analyse and feed the alerts back into suricata to
have it output an alert in unified2. Sure once suricata has file_extract
options creating your own script to run things on the file is easy but
suricata could do it straight out (or at least have it pass off). This way
those users who are not sure of the actual benefits or how to analyse files
on disk to detect malware and stuff don't have to think about it. Examples
of what could be done:

- Scan file with clamav
- Check for suspicious IATs such as ones checking for debuggers or other
stuff and the ability to possible threshold against a score. That way
suricata rather then generate an alert for every executable, suspicious
executables can be alerted on only (which with the right tuning could even
help zero in on unknown malware samples).
- Alerting on file type mismatches i.e server claims to send an image and
yet suricata is carving out an exe from the stream or carving flash out of
an excel file like the recent vulnerability (I guess this one could possibly
be handed by suricata itself if a user wanted such alerts).

My point is while making up your own scripts to do stuff (run clamav,
jsunpack etc on files) it is nice to have it handle it by default (if you
wanted it) and means more users who are learning or unsure how to take
advantage of file carving or why you would want to could benefit from it.

Kev