[Oisf-users] Suricata File Carving - Malware Detection

Kevin Ross kevross33 at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 11 20:34:58 UTC 2011

Thanks for the tip. I am looking forward to suricata having this capability
with the file_extract options that we mentioned after the last meeting but
until then I was going to use packet capture and file carving with nfex or
something (
http://blogs.cisco.com/security/network-based-file-carving/#more-13416) and
then have scripts to run clamav and other stuff against it. Ruminate looks
quite good though and I like that they are honest about its shortcomings and
its benefits which means you get a more realistic view of where it could fit
(though from the sound of it I don't think it is ready for production sized
networks though). Still it looks promising although I fear they may end up
getting dwarfed by suricata and razorback but for now may do they job and
worth experimenting with and I look forward to see where they go with it.