[Oisf-users] CUDA Licensing Grunts... (a little off-topic)

Randal T. Rioux randy at procyonlabs.com
Wed Apr 20 03:54:32 UTC 2011

I went to setup a server with a couple GeForce 9600GT cards in it (even
though they only support the 1.1 compute capabilities) to test the CUDA
aspects of Suricata.

I like Arch Linux, so I wanted to use that for a change.

It wasn't until I tried to install the CUDA toolkit that I realized it
is closed source. I'm not doing RPM mangling for Arch and would never
touch Ubuntu (I have my reasons), so this makes me sad. Sadder is that I
never noticed this before (always used RHEL or SL when CUDA dabbling).

Does anyone know of an open-source challenger to the CUDA feature set /
general premise? Something not as vendor-specific (of course). I can
understand why NVidia doesn't want us to know how the sausage is made,
but it doesn't mean I have to eat it!

Thanks,
Randy