[Oisf-users] Performance on multiple CPUs

Gene Albin gene.albin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 06:13:31 UTC 2011

Anoop,
  With max-pending-packets set to 50,000 and 48 CPU's I get performance
around 135,000 packets/sec.  With mpp at 50,000 and only 4 CPU's I get
performance around 31,343 packets/sec.  Both of these are with
--runmode=autofp enabled.

Interestingly enough, when I run 4 CPU's in autofp mode I get 31,343 pps,
and when I run 48 CPU's in auto mode I also get 31,343 pps.

  I have to admit that I don't quite follow your explanation about the
thread usage below.  In layman's terms how will this affect the performance
of suricata?  In my case I seem to be getting great performance increases,
but I can't see what downside there might be with the cache.

Thanks,
Gene

--
Gene Albin