[Oisf-users] [Emerging-Sigs] New Classification System Finalization

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Tue Feb 1 01:30:21 UTC 2011

On 1/31/2011 14:28, Matthew Jonkman wrote:
> As you may recall, Alienvault (http://www.alienvault.com), the home of OSSIM, has very generously offered to the snort and suricata communities the classification system they've developed to better categorize and react to IDS events. We're excited about this, especially in suricata, and we have already begun the changes required to allow us at Emerging Threats Pro and Emerging Threats Open to distribute the rulesets in both forms.
>
> We had called an end to comments by Jan 12, but discussion has continued mostly privately. A few points to iron out yet:
>
> 1. Sourcefire has proposed to change all underscores to dashes.
> I feel the underscores are an important differentiator. But older snort's may not handle that well. Suricata will handle them fine. But having differing systems is going to be a challenge of course.

count this as one voice for keeping the underscores... they are an important
part of things... especially when they are used to split a main "category" from
a "sub-category" (ie: thistrash, thistrash_group1, thistrash_group1-range3,
thistrash_group2, thistrash_group2-range1)

> 2. Sourcefire also proposes to lower-case everything.
> Shouldn't be a big deal if no one objects.

at this time, i don't see a problem with lowcase on everything... heck, i type
in lowcase almost all the time... caps are for Emphasis when Necessary! :P

> 3. We also need to assign priorities to the events. Sourcefire in the link below has proposed how they might look. We need feedback there.
> Perhaps we put up a simple web app to let folks go through and prioritize and we can take the average over a few weeks of input?

sounds good to me... unfortunately, i'm still in the position of working out how
tags can be used in the app(s) i develop... currently, if they do not appear in
the snort alert file, they are as alien as... well... aliens :P