[Oisf-users] Packets stucked in Nfqueue when running inline

Dave Remien dave.remien at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 01:33:01 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Eric Leblond <eric at regit.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could you check by running Suricata with debug at warning level ?
>
> SC_LOG_LEVEL=warn /path/to/suricata $MY_BEAUTIFUL_CUSTOM_PARAMS
>
> Following a related discussion on netfilter-devel mailing list, it
> appears that the problem could be due to a verdict failure. The problem
> is that this case is detected and a message is displayed but only if
> WARN or more log level is set.
>
> I've tried to reproduce the problem here (single powerful laptop and I
> did not manage to make it).

How many CPUs, at a question? Lots??

> As suggested on Netfilter devel mailing list, I've modified the code to
> try to reissue verdict. I attach the patch to the mail. I've tested this
> patch and it seems to work fine (at least when the problem does not
> occur).

As it turns out, you can issue verdict on any packet in (or not in 8-) the
nfqueue. I once had code that issued verdict on hundreds of K packets going
backwards, in an attempt to clear the queue.  It'll be interesting to see if
the queue gets cleared with Eric's patch.

Cheers!

Dave

--
"Of course, someone who knows more about this will correct me if I'm
wrong, and someone who knows less will correct me if I'm right."