[Oisf-users] Suricata performance in parallel instances!!!

Abhishek Sharma abhisheksharma84 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 06:09:54 UTC 2011

Hi Team,

Firstly, I am mighty pleased and impressed with this tool!!! way better than
snort!!

What I am trying to achieve here is to parse pcap files at the rate of 500
MB Pcaps / Second. I have pcaps of the size of 1 GB available with me. I
have close to 50 rules only. All TCP. Now, if I parse one file with Suricata
it takes me approximately 3.5 seconds to do so. I am using a 24 core server
with 47 GB RAM. I am running Ubuntu 10 platform. I believe the machine is
strong enough.

Now 3.5 secs for 1 GB file is good...no denying. But I have to achieve a
speed of 500 Mbps and for that I have to parse a file in under 2 seconds. So
what I did was to run two instances of Suricata in parallel (assuming two
instances should finish in 3.5 seconds as its a fairly strong machine), but
to my surprise (and dismay), it took me 7 seconds to process!!! for 3
instnaces it takes close to 9 secs!! So basically running a instance in
parallel just adds up the time. I dont understand this. I have disabled all
logging...Tried all search algorithms...played with the multithreading
concept but its not helping either....

Please help this is my only hope...any suggestions are most appreciated...

Cheers!
Abhi