[Oisf-users] Packets stucked in Nfqueue when running inline

Fernando Ortiz fernando.ortiz.f at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 17:34:35 UTC 2011

Hello, I am running suricata 1.1beta2 (rev ) inline with this command:

suricata -c /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml -q1 -q2 -D

Everything seems to work just fine, but when I check nfnetlink_queue, i see
there are some packets in queue waiting for verdict.

@ips2 ~]# cat /proc/net/netfilter/nfnetlink_queue
    1  10893   *555* 2 65535     0     0 169915460  1
    2  -4282   *552* 2 65535     0     0 169915475  1

This happens most at night. Traffic is around 15 Mb/s with pikes at 20 Mb/s.
The packets stucked are a few compared with the total number of packets
processed by Suricata. No problems reported by anyone in the network.
If I bypassed Suricata (iptables -F) packets are still there until I kill
suricata process.

I don't believe this is a suricata issue, but I wanted to check with you
anyway. I don't know how to see  what packets are stucked.  And I don't know
exactly when this happen.

Any suggestions please?