[Oisf-users] Smooth-Sec is out, the beauty of Snorby and the power of Suricata. The ready to-go IDS/IPS linux distribution.

phillip at bailey.st phillip at bailey.st
Thu Mar 10 15:56:38 UTC 2011

Hi Victor,

Sorry no PF_RING for you! :-), (at the moment).

Let's say that this version of Smooth-Sec is a kind of beta version,
I've already spotted some small issues that need to be fixed. My idea
is to roll out this version (v.1) and wait for some feedbacks and
comments in order to write a to-do list. When a decent amount of issues
are collected we can schedule a new release or upgrades via apt.

For the  records, this version is using Suricata 1.1 Beta1. In the next
day I'm going to write the how-to install and tweak the distribution.

I'm thinking to use some sourceforge tools such wiki, mailing list, Git,
tracker and so on, in order to coordinate and share as much as possible
the management of the project.

In the meanwhile my best regards.

Phillip

On 03/10/2011 04:29 PM, Victor Julien wrote:
> Nice work Phillip! Does the Suricata version you included have PF_RING
> enabled? Safes ppl the effort to compile the kernel module and userland.
>
> Cheers,
> Victor
>
> On 03/10/2011 04:23 PM, phillip at bailey.st wrote:
>>

>> Today I'm pleased to announce the release of Smooth-Sec, the ready to go
>> IDS/IPS linux distribution.
>>
>> Smooth-Sec is a ready to-go  IDS/IPS (Intrusion Detection/Prevention
>> System) linux distribution based on the multi threaded Suricata IDS/IPS
>> engine and Snorby, the top notch web application for network security
>> monitoring. Smooth-Sec is built on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS using the TurnKey
>> Core base as development platform. Functionality is the key point that
>> allow to deploy a complete  IDS/IPS System up and running out of the box
>> within a few minutes, even for security beginners with minimal Linux
>> experience.
>>

>> This project is not intended in any way to compete with Snorby and his
>> team. Is my wish to maintain the cooperation that we had in the past
>> months with the  the exciting work on SnorbySPA. It is also my wish
>> to cooperate with the Suricata team in the next developments.
>>
>> website http://bailey.st/blog/smooth-sec/
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Phillip

- --