[Oisf-users] New on this list

Victor Julien victor at inliniac.net
Mon Mar 28 08:41:25 UTC 2011

On 03/27/2011 07:17 PM, Sam Przyswa wrote:
> Hi all OISF Users !
>
> I'm just discovered The Open Information Security Foundation and
> Suricata. At this time I installed Snort + Guardian as IPS. We
> monitoring it with an old Webmin module but it work fine, we use the
> BASE with MySQL to stat the alerts.
>
> I would like to know the Suricata advantages vs Snort + Guardian., does
> it can send alerts by mail ?

Suricata won't send emails by itself, but it can generally work with the
same tools as Snort. It can work with BASE, although you'll need to use
barnyard/barnyard2.

Not sure about Guardian and the webmin module. It depends on how they
interact with Snort. If Guardian works with Snort's fast.log it should
work with Suricata as well.

Cheers,
Victor