[Oisf-users] Oisf-users Digest, Vol 37, Issue 25

Stefano Debenedetti ste at demaledetti.net
Thu Dec 13 17:06:53 UTC 2012

Hi Victor,

Il 13/12/2012 17:46, oisf-users-request at openinfosecfoundation.org ha
scritto:
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:38:30 +0100
> From: Victor Julien <lists at inliniac.net>
> To: oisf-users at openinfosecfoundation.org
> Subject: Re: [Oisf-users] Napatech support in Suricata: thread
> 	configuration and flow pinning
>
> On 12/13/2012 05:36 PM, Matthew Keeler wrote:
>> > With 3GD in Suricata the threading configuration is done by Suricata. It
>> > uses the builtin auto, autofp or workers run modes with workers being
>> > the most efficient in my testing.
>> >
>> > The built in workers run mode will use one thread per stream configured
>> > using NTPL. If you want 8 threads, then you should configure 8 streams.
>> > As for the flow pinning the Napatech card can do it or you can have it
>> > round robin packets to the individual streams. As for the flow pinning
>> > in Suricata, someone else can provide a more in depth answer on the subject.
> Is it possible to have more streams? Say 16 or 32?
>
> Cheers,
> Victor

Yes, it's possible to have up to 16 streams but in my testing with
Napatech's packet forwarding example program it gave worse
performance than with 8 streams, this is why I would like to split
the work between:

* 8 cores only doing capturing and forwarding
* all other cores for doing decoding, detection, etc.

ciao
ste