[Oisf-users] Suricata stable 1.4 packages are available for Ubuntu on Ubuntu PPA (launchpad).

Victor Julien lists at inliniac.net
Fri Dec 14 09:27:22 UTC 2012

On 12/13/2012 10:36 PM, Peter Manev wrote:
> Hi ,
>
>  Suricata  stable 1.4 packages are available for Ubuntu on Ubuntu PPA
> (launchpad).
>
>   * 10.04 Lucid
>   * 11.10 Oneiric
>   * 12.04 Precise
>   * 12.10 Quantal
>   * 13.04 Raring
>
>  32 and 64 bit packages available.
>
> _*NOTE:*_ This time the packages are build-in with and*IPS (nfqueue) and
> NSS  enabled* (aka MD5 enabled, ready to use out of the box
> installation. More info:
> https://redmine.openinfosecfoundation.org/projects/suricata/wiki/MD5
> <https://redmine.openinfosecfoundation.org/projects/suricata/wiki/MD5> ).
>

> There is also available "suricata-dbg" (Suricata with enabled debug
> features) package ready to use out of the box install:
> "sudo apt-get install suricata-dbg".
>
> Suricata 1.4 is available from our suricata-stable repository.

Noticed something odd. If I add both the stable and the beta PPA to my
system, it picks the 1.4rc1 (from beta) over 1.4 (from stable). IIRC how
apt/dpkg works is it compares version numbers. It seems in it's logic
1.4rc1 > 1.4.

In another project I worked around this by slightly changing the version
number of the package:

final 1.4
beta 1.4~beta1
rc 1.4~rc1

This works because in Debian/Ubuntu the complete version will look like
this:

1.4-1ubuntu1
1.4~beta1-1ubuntu1
1.4~rc1-1ubuntu1

I guess when comparing these version strings the "-" is considered >
that the "~".