[Oisf-users] where are my missing packets ?

Travel Factory S.r.l. mc8647 at mclink.it
Thu Feb 23 10:49:28 UTC 2012

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:18:33 +0100
  Victor Julien <victor at inliniac.net> wrote:
> On 02/23/2012 10:45 AM, Travel Factory S.r.l. wrote:
>>     depth: 50mb                  # reassemble 1mb into a stream
>
> Any particular reason for this setting? This means large transfers,
>like
> big downloads, will be tracked much longer than normal.

No, actually I raised every parameter regarding memory. I should read
again the suricata.yaml parameters description.
Should I lower it ?

Anyhow, as expected, after 35:00,

tcp.segment_memcap_drop   | Detect                    | 0
tcp.reassembly_memuse     | Detect                    |
38506791088.000000
tcp.segment_memcap_drop   | Detect                    | 0
tcp.reassembly_memuse     | Detect                    |
38596590000.000000
tcp.segment_memcap_drop   | Detect                    | 157
tcp.reassembly_memuse     | Detect                    |
38654700066.000000
tcp.segment_memcap_drop   | Detect                    | 6057
tcp.reassembly_memuse     | Detect                    |
38654705250.000000
tcp.segment_memcap_drop   | Detect                    | 13473

The only rule file active has these 2 rules:

alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"FILE-IDENTIFY PDF file magic
detection"; flow:to_client,established; file_data; content:"%PDF-";
fast_pattern; nocase; flowbits:set,file.pdf; classtype:misc-activity;
sid:2049499999; rev:3;)

alert ip [10.my.ip.address] any -> any any (msg:"FRANK traffic";
threshold: type limit, track by_src, seconds 60, count 1;
sid:2405998999; rev:277;)

The second rule is triggered and I see one message every 60 seconds,
the first rule is not triggered when I do traffic from my pc but I see
it in the log when traffic is made from other workstations... is the
second rule masking the first ??? Or am I still losing packets ???