[Oisf-users] Suricata with PF_RING on latest git

Martin Holste mcholste at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 14:36:57 UTC 2012

Doug,

One thing to watch out for when using PF_RING in transparent_mode=0
across multiple applications is the BPF.  They (at least back in
PF_RING 5.1) had to have identical BPF otherwise one app would see
packets and another wouldn't.

I think that PF_RING is the way to go right now because it still
offers the best performance, especially folks who can flip over to
DNA, etc.  If your app is running PF_RING and dropping packets, it's
the app's fault, never PF_RING, and %si time is very low.  However, I
don't have experience with the latest AF_PACKET, so if someone has any
stats on recent AF_PACKET vs PF_RING, I'm sure there would be a lot of
very interested readers.  I didn't find anything on a quick Google.
My gut says that PF_RING is still going to be much faster, because
Luca's worked on it for years and the AF_PACKET fan-out implementation
is still fairly new.