[Oisf-users] UDP reassambly behaviour

Michel SABORDE michel.saborde at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 08:27:04 UTC 2012

Well actually you don't.
I  made a mistake, Snort does not reassamble the datagrams.
But Bro, if you set up a rule on IP protocol (not UDP) does reassamble.
I don't have time to investigate why Bro has choosen this behaviour, but
i'm sure there is a good reason.
Nevertheless, if Suricata does not receive the datagrams or if it receives
it in a bad order, my guess is that their are many chances that the final
destination won't receive it either, or will receive it in a bad order too.

I don't know what should be the correct behaviour here but maybe it is
worth to investigate a little.
Maybe Suricata can reassamble datagrams from the same quadruplet i talked
about before based on a timeout that you can configure ?

Michel