[Oisf-users] FW: Performance of pcap-log output

Peter Manev petermanev at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 19:27:37 UTC 2012

Hi,

The speeds that you are achieving are very low, almost impossible :).
Please have a look here (although it uses advanced techniques for your
network card drivers and such, it will be helpful to set up your
suricata.yaml):
https://home.regit.org/2012/07/suricata-to-10gbps-and-beyond/

What speeds are you looking at .. on your network interface?
Which version of Suricata are you using?

I am not sure about pcap-log throughput, but i am assuming it will be
hugely dependent on your HDD speed as well.

thanks

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 8:36 PM, Jake Gionet <gionet.jake at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, forgot to include version information
>
> OS: Ubuntu 12.04.1
> Suricata: 1.4beta2
>

> > Hello all,
> >
> > I was hoping to get an idea of the performance limits of Suricata's
> pcap-log output format.
> >
> > I would really like to configure Suricata for both signature detection
> and packet capturing.  However, from the testing I've been able to do it
> appears to drop a significant amount of packets (more than it actually
> captured) at relatively low network speeds.  The traffic I'm currently
> testing with averages around 85 Mb/s and Suricata hasn't been able to keep
> up.  Even during timeframes of ~35 Mb/s it is not capturing most packets.
>  It is bursty, but tcpdump has had no issue keeping up with the traffic.
> >
> > Has anybody been able to use Suricata as a packet capturing application
> at speeds greater than 100 Mb/s?
> > Are there any configurations that would potentially improve performance
> of pcap-log output?
> > What kind of speeds should I expect the pcap-log output to be able to
> keep up with?
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Jake

Peter Manev