[Oisf-users] rules for failed logins

Theodore Elhourani theodore.elhourani at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 23:23:11 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am trying to generate alerts for multiple failed ftp logins. The rules I
am using are

(1) alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"incorrect login attempt -- count
logins !"; content:"incorrect"; flowint:loginfail, +, 1; sid:101;)
(2) alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"Two login attempts fail in a
Stream"; content:"incorrect"; flowint:loginfail, ==, 2; sid:102;)

I tried using

(3) alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"Two or more login attempts fail in a
Stream"; content:"incorrect"; flowint:loginfail, >, 1; sid:103;)

to alert for more than one failed login attempt.

I haven't been able to generate an alert using both (2) and (3). At least
three failed login attempts occur in a single stream.

Surricata is generating an alert when an alertall rule like this one is
used:
alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"Two login attempts fail in a Stream";
content:"incorrect";)

Can someone tell me what is missing in the rules? The client/server capture
is attached for reference.

Thank you
Ted