[Oisf-users] I did the installation of suricata as an IPS

Leonard Jacobs ljacobs at netsecuris.com
Thu Jun 13 11:17:47 UTC 2013

I had the same problem.  I was told that Suricata was only getting half the traffic and that I should use like below also.

sudo iptables -I FORWARD -o eth0 -i eth1 -j NFQUEUE

I think the order of the interfaces and packet direction is important to watch for.

Another way was:

sudo iptables -I FORWARD - m physdev --physdev-in eth0 --physdev-out eth1 -j NFQUEUE
sudo iptables -I FORWARD - m physdev --physdev-out eth0 --physdev-in eth1 -j NFQUEUE

I was told that af-packet IPS is more efficient and we use it for IPS mode.

https://home.regit.org/2012/09/new-af_packet-ips-mode-in-suricata/

I hope all of this helps.  It did for us.