[Oisf-users] Question

Leonard Jacobs ljacobs at netsecuris.com
Sat Mar 30 14:44:20 UTC 2013

I am running the ET Open rules but not all of them.  I have Scan on so I would have thought I would see them.  I am getting a Policy one dealing with DNS periodically.  And if I enable the Suricata decode rules I get events.

I have 1.4.1 installed.  I have tried various kernels and versions of Ubuntu.  I thought about switching back to 1.4 to see if that makes a difference.  I have tried IDS mode, IPS mode using NFQUEUE, and IPS mode with AF-Packet.  Does not seem to make a difference.  However with NFQUEUE, I noticed a lot of dropped packets according to drop.log.

I have my HOME_NET IP addresses in the var within brackets like the example.  Individual servers are in vars within brackets.

We have been running tcpdump just to see what kinds of traffic we are getting and the level.  Not a lot of traffic but we do see an increase when running the scans.

Thanks.

Leonard