[Oisf-users] Monitoring stats log file (with Zabbix) to measure impact of fine-tuning config file

Christophe Vandeplas christophe at vandeplas.com
Thu Nov 14 13:00:23 UTC 2013

Hi list,

For quite some time I've been facing performance and configuration
challenges with Suricata. One of my frustrations was that I could
barely measure the results of configuration changes I made, especially
because sometimes it takes hours before "things go wrong". Looking at
the stats.log file manually didn't really seem practical so I wanted
to integrate this in my monitoring tool to be able to plot graphs.

For this I needed to write a script that consolidated the stats.log
output, as counters are unique per thread it's kinda annoying to have
8 counters for the same thing if you're running with 8 threads like
me.

The script itself might be useful for anyone wanting to feed the
stats.log to another tool.

You'll find the story here:
http://christophe.vandeplas.com/2013/11/suricata-monitoring-with-zabbix-or-other.html

And the script and zabbix configuration here:
https://github.com/cvandeplas/suricata_stats

The zabbix xml template is not yet complete (still missing some
counters) but I'll do my best to add them later.

Hope it's useful for others.
Kind regards

Christophe