[Oisf-users] Suricata - w3af integration to find malware in websites

Andres Riancho andres.riancho at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 14:05:18 UTC 2013

Shirkdog,

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Shirkdog <shirkdog at gmail.com> wrote:
> You should be able to include the Emerging Threats sigs by including the
> copyright per the BSD 3-Clause they use.

Well, licensing of the rules is complex, take a look at this [0]. Summary:
 * Rules with sids 1 through 3464, and 100000000 through 100000908 are
under the GPLv2.
 * Rules with sids 2000000 through 2799999 are from Emerging Threats
and are covered under the BSD License
 * Rules with sids 2800000 through 2900000 are provided by Emerging
Threats Pro and are covered by the license provided in this
distribution titled ETPRO-License.txt

The GPLv2 rules I'll be able to use/bundle/distribute with my software
without worrying because my software is GPLv2

The BSD rules seem to be under the original BSD license [1] which is
incompatible with GPLv2. This won't allow me to bundle them with my
software.

The ETPRO-License is completely incompatible with GPLv2.

[0] http://rules.emergingthreats.net/open-nogpl/suricata-1.3/rules/LICENSE
[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#OriginalBSD

> To be extra cautious, you could just provide a way to pull down the latest
> signatures and process them.

Yes, I think that the best way to go here is for me to write the
integration between the rules and my software, then have good
documentation on how to download the rules and let people choose. If
they want to write their own rules, they can, if they want to use the
paid ones, they also can do that.