[Oisf-users] Windows Installation

Victor Julien lists at inliniac.net
Thu Sep 5 13:57:21 UTC 2013

On 08/20/2013 06:55 AM, Sean Settle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm following the instructions to compile Suricata from source on
> Windows (v1.3 from May 26, 2012), but it's a bit out of date.  Cygwin
> now has x86 and x86_64 versions (the links to
> http://cygwin.com/setup.exe in the pdf are dead).
>
> Following the guide with setup-x86.exe from cygwin:
>
> It seems that gcc4-core and gcc4-objc do not exist anymore, but gcc-core
> and gcc-objc do, which I assume is sufficient.  Automake1.9 is now up to
> automake1.14 (it may be easier to just instruct selecting autoconf and
> automake because they automatically pulls in the newest versions
> required), and that w32api has now become w32api-headers and w32api-runtime.

Sounds like there have been quite a few changes. Peter, can you update
your installation doc? Would prefer it as a wiki page btw, for easier
editing.

> I don't know what to make of some of the packages using
> setup-x86_64.exe,  There are several MinGW versions of the pthreads (no
> libpthread-stubs), and both MinGW and Cygwin versions of the w32api
> packages above.  Would someone clarify the packages for the 64 bit install?

Peter has been looking at cygwin64 for Suricata, but hasn't gotten very
far yet. The first obstacle seems to be winpcap. We're not aware of a
64bit version of it yet.

https://redmine.openinfosecfoundation.org/issues/931