[Oisf-users] suricata unexpectedly exiting

Victor Julien lists at inliniac.net
Wed Sep 4 06:58:03 UTC 2013

On 09/04/2013 01:27 AM, David Mandelberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I try to run suricata, it quits unexpectedly after a few minutes
> with a return code of 132. My suricata.yaml is attached, and the output
> is below. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
>
> $ time sudo suricata --user root --group root -c
> /usr/local/etc/suricata/suricata.yaml --pcap; echo $?
[...]
> (TmThreadWaitOnThreadInit) -- all 1 packet processing threads, 3
> management threads initialized, engine started.
>
> real    1m36.709s
> user    0m1.264s
> sys    0m0.092s
> 132

Learned something new today. An exit code of 128+n, means n is the
signal the process was killed with. So here 4, which is SIGILL or
illegal instruction.[1]

Might be that you compiled your binary on different hardware?[2]

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7294056/how-to-lookup-the-meaning-of-exit-codes-for-linux-command-line-utilities
[2]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8556447/linux-core-dump-about-signal-4