[Oisf-users] Configure Suricata drop rule to drop whole source

Cooper F. Nelson cnelson at ucsd.edu
Fri Aug 22 18:38:50 UTC 2014

No, currently you can't have separate time windows for
detection/alerting.  For now its merged:

> https://redmine.openinfosecfoundation.org/projects/suricata/wiki/Rule-Thresholding

> type both, track by_src, count 10, seconds 10;

So you can set the count/time to 10 seconds, but not a count of 10 for
60 seconds.

If you want to do something like that, the way you do it have another
process to watch the alerts file and then add a firewall rule.  You
could have a cron job to periodically check for expired rules to remove
them.

- -Coop

On 8/22/2014 10:59 AM, First Root | Michael wrote:
> Hello Cooper,
>
> thanks for your response.
>
> but if i adjust the threshold value it also highers the period in which
> the counter is increased?
>
> Simply spoken, isn't there a way to create a rule that triggers if
> threshold count 10 in 10 seconds and then drop it for 60 seconds?
>
> Regards
> Michael
>
> Am 22.08.2014 um 19:54 schrieb Cooper F. Nelson <cnelson at ucsd.edu
> <mailto:cnelson at ucsd.edu>>:
>
>> Signierter PGP Teil
>> You are telling suricata to only drop traffic for 10 seconds via the
>> threshold rule.  You probably shouldn't use thresholding for 'drop'
>> rules unless you are trying to drop floods/DOS or attempting to do some
>> kind of rate-shaping.
>>
>> If you really want to drop all port 80 traffic try this rule:
>>
>> > drop tcp any any -> any 80 (msg:"Local DROP Tcp port 80";
>> flow:from_client; sid:1;)
>>
>> -Coop
>>
>> On 8/22/2014 10:43 AM, First Root | Michael wrote:
>> > Hello Cooper,
>> >
>> > thanks for your response.
>> > it is not the case that i simply want to drop specific traffic, but this
>> > was the easiest way to show what my problem is ;).
>> >
>> > Is there any way to define how long the drop is valid as i asked in my
>> > last email?
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Michael
>> >

>> --