[Oisf-users] HTTP Logging Update

Duarte Silva duarte.silva at serializing.me
Wed Jul 23 17:27:03 UTC 2014

Hi,

today I had a problem with one of our sensors, it stopped logging HTTP and DNS
(no matter what logger was enabled).

I tried all the tricks int the book, restart, change the BPF filter,
disable/enable VLAN tracking, ... nothing worked.

I could see the packets arriving with tcpdump, Suricata was receiving the
packets and there were no problems (drops, gaps, ...).

Without any other option on the Suricata side, I decided to re-create the SPAN
configuration. It "magically" started to work again. I wrote "magically"
because I still don't know why it stopped working since the switch wasn't
messed with and Suricata is still running with the same configuration it had
before.

Anyway, a good thing to try if you a have a mirror port configuration :)

Hope it helps,
Duarte Silva