[Oisf-users] tcp.segment_memcap_drop

Kurzawa, Kevin kkurzawa at co.pinellas.fl.us
Wed Jun 11 13:52:05 UTC 2014

This is Suricata version 2.0 RELEASE

Yea, that number tcp.reassembly_memuse shot up the other day suddenly. I restarted Suricata yesterday afternoon and here are the new relavent numbers.

Date: 6/11/2014 -- 09:11:12 (uptime: 0d, 16h 08m 30s)
Counter                   | TM Name                   | Value
capture.kernel_packets    | RxPcapbond01              | 405967168
capture.kernel_drops      | RxPcapbond01              | 449953
capture.kernel_ifdrops    | RxPcapbond01              | 0
tcp.sessions              | Detect                    | 4552548
tcp.ssn_memcap_drop       | Detect                    | 0
tcp.segment_memcap_drop   | Detect                    | 8401072
tcp.stream_depth_reached  | Detect                    | 3298
tcp.reassembly_memuse     | Detect                    | 8589934576
tcp.reassembly_gap        | Detect                    | 1902749

My related entries from suricata.yaml:

stream:
  memcap: 2gb
  reassembly:
    memcap: 2gb
    depth: 1mb

I checked my memory usage and am at 3gb out of 8gb's at the time of the above statistics.

I'm assuming that the tcp.reassembly_memuse not what I think it is. It shows 8.5gb's at the moment but ... not sure why. Is there a bug or some error between the chair and the keyboard?

Where does the tcp.reassembly_gap come into play with these numbers also?