[Oisf-users] (no subject)

Mon Mar 24 20:46:37 UTC 2014

Having debugged the heck out of suricata when getting it running on a
Solaris host, I've seen that there is a window of time between invoking
suricata and when it actually starts processing the packet flow. During
that time it's looping a lot and building it's internal structures up to
hold all of the rules. Once that's completed then the job of being an IDS
begins. For me that period of startup time was up to a few minutes,
depending on the size of my rule set.

It's very much within the limits of plausibility for the system to drop
those 30K packets during the pre-processing of the rules and then not drop
anything during the normal work phase. It's not taking packets off the
stack during the rule build phase. They will just drop. If you're seeing
zero drops on an ongoing basis, that's great. I got used to the fact packet
drop just happens when you listen at a 10Gb feed.

Keep in mind when compiling in profiling and running stats counting, it
WILL slow down the engine so packet drops will occur, it's akin to the law
of physics about affecting something you are measuring. It was suggested it
added a 20% overhead.