[Oisf-users] SELKS 1.0beta1 release

Peter Manev petermanev at gmail.com
Tue May 27 20:03:29 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 2:38 PM, C. L. Martinez <carlopmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Peter Manev <petermanev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Stamus Networks is proud to announce the first public release of SELKS.
>>
>> SELKS is both Live and installable ISO based on Debian implementing a
>> ready to use Suricata IDS/IPS.
>>
>> The name comes from its major components: Suricata Elasticsearch
>> Logstash Kibana Scirius. After starting or installing SELKS, you get a
>> running Suricata with IDPS and NSM capabilities, Kibana to analyze
>> alert and events and Scirius to configure the Suricata ruleset.
>>
>> SELKS is released under GPLv3 license. Sources, issues tracker and
>> wiki are hosted on GitHub.
>>
>> SELKS Homepage: https://www.stamus-networks.com/open-source/#selks
>> SELKS on GitHub: https://github.com/StamusNetworks/SELKS
>> Stamus Networks: https://www.stamus-networks.com/
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Peter Manev
>>

> Congratulations. It is a fantastic news, but only one suggestion:
> instead of release a new NSM suite, why not join forces with other
> projects like securityonion?
>
> Please, I am not trying to make noise with this question. It is what
> it is: a question/suggestion.

We wanted to add ELK (Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana) on top of
Suricata and provide a web interface to manage it (Scirius). The
target was to provide the experience of getting in 30 sec a running
Suricata outputting events and alert to Kibana.

We also made the building scripts available to build/edit/tailor your
own ISO if you want to -
https://github.com/StamusNetworks/SELKS/wiki/Building-SELKS
and if you wish you can contribute scripts/ideas back so that everyone
can benefit.

Peter Manev