[Oisf-users] STMP Filecarving

Victor Julien lists at inliniac.net
Mon Nov 3 08:01:30 UTC 2014

On 11/03/2014 08:48 AM, Andreas Moe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the new pull request adding STMP carving (#1195), ive been testing
> this abit. But, i cant seem to be able to carve any files. Im betting
> the issue is my rule writing skills. Any one have any tips?
>
> alert smtp any any -> any any (msg:"TOTAL CAPTURE!"; filestore; sid:1;
> rev:1;)

Have you updated your yaml to include:

app-layer:
  protocols:

    smtp:
      enabled: yes
      # Configure SMTP-MIME Decoder
      mime:
        # Decode MIME messages from SMTP transactions
        # (may be resource intensive)
        # This field supercedes all others because it turns the entire
        # process on or off
        decode-mime: yes

        # Decode MIME entity bodies (ie. base64, quoted-printable, etc.)
        decode-base64: yes
        decode-quoted-printable: yes

        # Maximum bytes per header data value stored in the data structure
        # (default is 2000)
        header-value-depth: 2000

        # Extract URLs and save in state data structure
        extract-urls: no

The SMTP file extraction depends on the 'decode-mime' setting.