[Oisf-users] Occasional burst of packet loss

Yasha Zislin coolyasha at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 3 19:35:48 UTC 2014

When you say " If the packets all have the same src/dst ports/IPs,
> then they are all going to be handled by the same thread", do you mean that all of these four (src IP, dst IP, src Port and dst Port) have to be the same for one thread to be utilized? what if one of these four is different, is it still the same thread? for example, ping sweep or port scan.
Good question about jumbo frames. I am not 100% sure but I would think there are some. In suricata configuration have default-packet-size: set to 1522.
Yes, I am monitoring flows internally as well but my flow buffers are pretty high. Here is a stat info on that:flow_mgr.closed_pruned    | FlowManagerThread         | 271691732flow_mgr.new_pruned       | FlowManagerThread         | 59854939flow_mgr.est_pruned       | FlowManagerThread         | 35647800flow.memuse               | FlowManagerThread         | 11828262632flow.spare                | FlowManagerThread         | 40005878
Besides last two entries, I am not sure how to read it.
I should not have local to local flows since local to local traffic doesnt try to use this firewall.
I did packet profiling with Suricata and it is about 99% HTTP(s).
I guess, I am trying to figure out if there is a way to reduce packet loss and improve performance while being attacked by either DDOS or something else.
Thanks.