[Oisf-users] Occasional burst of packet loss

Yasha Zislin coolyasha at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 5 15:28:51 UTC 2014

I am using latest Suricata release 2.0.4. BTW, I've had 2.0.1 version running recently and I had a drastic drop in number of alerts after like 5 hours of starting Suricata. 2.0.4 fixed that.
Actually, I managed to get pf_ring number of slots way higher than suggested default.I found out that maximum number for me was 400000. Originally during config tweaking, I've noticed that higher number of slots did improve packet loss. Recently, I've started testing with lower number of slots (200000), same behavior as far as occasional burst of packet loss.
For the NICs, I've done the following:# ethtool -k ethxFeatures for ethx:rx-checksumming: offtx-checksumming: offscatter-gather: offtcp-segmentation-offload: offudp-fragmentation-offload: offgeneric-segmentation-offload: offgeneric-receive-offload: offlarge-receive-offload: offntuple-filters: offreceive-hashing: off
# ethtool -c ethxrx-usecs: 1000
# ethtool -g ethxRing parameters for ethx:Pre-set maximums:RX:             4078RX Mini:        0RX Jumbo:       0TX:             4078Current hardware settings:RX:             4078RX Mini:        0RX Jumbo:       0TX:             4078