[Oisf-users] Suricata Rules

Cooper F. Nelson cnelson at ucsd.edu
Mon Nov 17 18:53:12 UTC 2014

This is what I would do if I had the budget:

I would have a second sensor that ran only ET rules that are currently
disabled, with a high default threshold setting.  I would then have an
analyst review the alerts daily and look for alerts to enable via
oinkmaster.

*But*, in my limited experience the ET guys do a pretty good job of
enabling the highest-value alerts by default.  I've run some of the
disabled rules in the past during quiet periods and I don't recall
finding much of interest.

Also, if you are running a honeypot/honeynet, its a good idea to simply
enable everything.

- -Coop