[Oisf-users] Packets "dissappear" with PF_RING.

Xavier Romero XRomero at nexica.com
Sun Oct 12 09:53:24 UTC 2014

Hello,

I've switched from PCAP mode to PF_RING and now I realize that suricata is getting much less pakets, it is, instead of our usual 300.000 pkt/s to just 40.000 pkt/s (according to stats file). In fact alerts generated dropped drastically, my Kibana visualization can confirm it!

Stats file does not report any drop, so it may be related to PF_RING? OR the way I've configured Suricata for PF_RING?

My config:
runmode: workers
pfring:
  - interface: eth2
    threads: 8
    cluster-id: 94
    cluster-type: cluster_flow
  - interface: eth3
    threads: 8
    cluster-id: 94
    cluster-type: cluster_flow

(I've got 2 x 8-core CPU, 32GB RAM)

My previous config was default runmode with default pcap settings, it worked perfect, just that cpu was near 100% most time and I wanted it to scale a bit more :)

PF_RING info:

[root at nex-ids-01 suricata]# cat /proc/net/pf_ring/info
PF_RING Version          : 6.0.2 ($Revision: 8014$)
Total rings              : 16

Standard (non DNA) Options
Ring slots               : 4096
Slot version             : 16
Capture TX               : Yes [RX+TX]
IP Defragment            : No
Socket Mode              : Standard
Transparent mode         : Yes [mode 0]
Total plugins            : 0
Cluster Fragment Queue   : 6819
Cluster Fragment Discard : 825409065

Cluster Fragment Discard could have something to do?

>From files /sys/class/net/eth2/statistics/rx_packets and /sys/class/net/eth3/statistics/rx_packets I can confirm that packets are arriving to the Linux box at a ratio of about 300.000 pkt/s however suricata reports a ratio of about 40.000 pkt/s in its stats file, without drops. I have no idea in which point the packets are dissappearing.

Any clue?

Best regards,
Xavier Romero