[Oisf-users] What are capture.kernel_packets, capture.kernel_drops

Cooper F. Nelson cnelson at ucsd.edu
Wed Oct 8 20:19:48 UTC 2014

Yes, to an extent.

For example, I make heavy use of BPF filters to sample traffic.  So,
what I'm doing is informing the kernel to selectively filter packets
before they are passed to the suricata process.  This prevents the
suricata process from getting overloaded and dropping even more packets.

I admit I don't understand this as well as I would like, but I think the
idea is that the kernel_drops can refer to packets dropped inbound,
within or outbound re: the kernel process.  Remember, the kernel has
packet buffers and a drop just means it wasn't able to copy a packet
into one successfully.

If PF_RING works like AF_PACKET mode, the bpf filters are processed by
the kernel prior to being inserted into the ring buffer.

- -Coop