[Oisf-users] Issue with having Suricata alert successfully on successive creation of alert conditions

bakul khanna bakulkhanna at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 20:49:46 UTC 2014

Thanks for your suggestions.

The problem I was seeing with "successive alerts on  tcpreplay of a pcap
file" turned out to be a networking issue that caused all packets in the
pcap file to not be delivered to the Suricata machine on successive
tcpreplays, although on the first tcpreplay all packets in the pcap file
were delivered successfully. Waiting 300s (5 min) after the first tcpreplay
cleared this networking condition and allowed all packets in the pcap file
to be delivered successfully again.

I confirmed this by replaying the pcap files from the same machine that
Suricata was running on and observed successive alerts (earlier when I had
tried this test and reported that it didn't work, I believe I had not yet
lowered the tcp-timeouts).

Thanks,

-Bakul