[Oisf-users] Launch suricata with PFRING support

Peter Manev petermanev at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 18:54:39 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Alvaro Alonso Jiménez
<alvaroalo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have compiled suricata with PFRING, and I want to launch it properly.
>

> I have found the following documentation regarding the way Suricata needs to
> be launched:
>
> https://redmine.openinfosecfoundation.org/projects/suricata/wiki/Installation_with_PF_RING
>
> More precisely:
>
> Start up Suricata with PF_RING support:
>
> sudo /opt/PF_RING/bin/suricata --pfring-int=eth0 --pfring-cluster-id=99
> --pfring-cluster-type=cluster_flow -c /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml
>

> In this sense, it seems there is no reference to -i option (using to specify
> the interfaces which we have to use to sniff traffic). Let's assume I want
> to use several interfaces to sniff traffic with PFRING configuration. I have
> also found this other entry, which states that we should specify a '-i'
> option for each interface we want to use to sniff traffic
>
> http://blog.inliniac.net/2010/12/24/listening-on-multiple-interfaces-with-suricata/
>

> So, let's assume I want to use eth0 and eth1 to sniff traffic. How should I
> launch suricata?

Could you try it like so(and let us know):
/usr/bin/suricata --pfring -c
/etc/suricata/peter-yaml/suricata-pfring.yaml -D -v

and in the suricata.yaml (pfring section) you should have the
different interfaces defined with a different cluster id.

Which pf_ring ver do you use?
Which Suricata ver do you use?

> OPTION 1
>
> /usr/bin/suricata -c /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml -i eth0 -i eth1
> --pfring=eth0 --pfring=eth1
>
> (suricata-start log traces shows that using multiple interfaces to sniff
> traffic is a experimental feature, and suricata log traces show duplicated
> information for eth0 and eth1)
>

> OPTION 2
>
> /usr/bin/suricata -c /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml --pfring=eth0 --pfring=eth1
>

> ANOTHER OPTION???
>

> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Alvaro