[Oisf-users] file truncated

Peter Manev petermanev at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 13:09:50 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Miso Mijatovic <mmijatovic at sorint.it> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Miso, as a sanity check could you run 'ethtool -k' on your monitor
>> interface and copy the results here?
> I confirm i disabled the NIC offloading on eth0 and eth1 and if i run 'ethtool -k' have the same result for the two interfaces:
>
> Features for eth1:
> rx-checksumming: off
> tx-checksumming: off
>         tx-checksum-ipv4: off
>         tx-checksum-unneeded: off [fixed]
>         tx-checksum-ip-generic: off [fixed]
>         tx-checksum-ipv6: off
>         tx-checksum-fcoe-crc: off [fixed]
>         tx-checksum-sctp: off [fixed]
> scatter-gather: off
>         tx-scatter-gather: off
>         tx-scatter-gather-fraglist: off [fixed]
> tcp-segmentation-offload: off
>         tx-tcp-segmentation: off
>         tx-tcp-ecn-segmentation: off
>         tx-tcp6-segmentation: off
> udp-fragmentation-offload: off [fixed]
> generic-segmentation-offload: off
> generic-receive-offload: off
> large-receive-offload: off [fixed]
> rx-vlan-offload: off
> tx-vlan-offload: off
> ntuple-filters: off [fixed]
> receive-hashing: off [fixed]
> highdma: on
> rx-vlan-filter: off [fixed]
> vlan-challenged: off [fixed]
> tx-lockless: off [fixed]
> netns-local: off [fixed]
> tx-gso-robust: off [fixed]
> tx-fcoe-segmentation: off [fixed]
> fcoe-mtu: off [fixed]
> tx-nocache-copy: on
> loopback: off [fixed]

Everything seems to be OFF - which is good :)

>> Are there a lot of drops/gaps in the stats.log?
> I don't have kernel drops but i noticed i have some tcp gaps. I'm attaching some graphs.

Not only gaps - form the graphs there seems to be memcap drops as well
- that combination can lead to the file extraction problems.

Have you done any tuning of the suricata.yaml?
What type of traffic and how much of it are you inspecting on what HW ?

>> What is your set up - is it entirely virtual(including the mirror technique)?
> My set up is entirely physical.

Peter Manev