[Oisf-users] Alert Timestamps Off/Incorrect

Jason Holmes jholmes at psu.edu
Thu Dec 3 21:26:59 UTC 2015

Hi,

This afternoon we detected an event via several different sensors.  Two
of the sensors logged the event within seconds of when it happened with
timestamps within seconds of the corresponding network traffic.
Suricata received the same traffic at the same time but logged it much
later and when it did, the timestamps for the alerts in the fast.log
were off by a significant amount of time and not at all representative
of when the network traffic for the event occurred.

The event consisted largely of one-way communication - inbound
communication matched sensor rules but the traffic was blocked between
the sensors and the target once a device in front of the target detected
the event.  My wild guess is that enough traffic was allowed for
Suricata to start tracking a flow and when the return traffic was
blocked, Suricata didn't log anything until the flow timed out and when
it did log, it used the timestamp from when the flow timed out, not from
when malicious network traffic was seen.  This theory is supported to
some extent since the offset between when the event happened and when
Suricata logged it happens to match nicely with our setting for the TCP
established flow timeout.

I have two questions based on this:

1. What are the timestamps that Suricata uses in its alert files
representative of?  Are they supposed to represent when an event
occurred, when the log line was written, or something else?

2. Is the above delayed logging behavior intended?  If this behavior is
not intended and any of the developers would like more information to
dig into this, I can provide it privately.

This was with Suricata 3.0rc1.

Thanks,

--
Jason Holmes