[Oisf-users] packet loss troubleshooting

Brandon Lattin latt0050 at umn.edu
Wed Dec 9 21:13:54 UTC 2015

Keep in mind that large flows can induce bursty packetloss.

For instance, a perfSonar network monitoring device will test bandwidth by
shoving many gigabytes of max MTU null padded packets through the pipe to a
remote perfSonar box. This will result in the whole stream being buffered
and fed to a single core due to tuple hashing. Chances are good that your
buffer won't flush fast enough and you'll start dropping packets.

Long story short. Know your traffic. See what netflow has to say.

--
Brandon Lattin
Security Analyst