[Oisf-users] EXTERNAL: Re: unusual packet loss

Rasmor, Zachary R zachary.r.rasmor at lmco.com
Fri Dec 25 07:35:05 UTC 2015

Are you able to characterize the traffic seen by this sensor? With a static
load balancing scheme like cluster_flow, which I believe uses something like
a hash of the TCP-quad to determine which thread processes a flow, it's
certainly possible for a single thread to get a disproportionate amount of
traffic and become bogged down. I've seen it before, though not quite as
dramatic as in your case, since your other threads appear nearly idle.

While the workers runmode is generally accepted as the best practice, you
might play around with autofp or different cluster modes just to see if you
observe any different behavior. You may not want to make these your
permanent settings, but it may help you narrow down your issue.

Zach Rasmor

Email:  <mailto:zachary.r.rasmor at lmco.com> zachary.r.rasmor at lmco.com

Office: 301.240.6116