[Oisf-users] Questions about stats and packet drops

Jose Vila jovimon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 13:44:33 UTC 2015

Thanks Cooper for your reply.

I've added more cores, reducing the drop rate below 2%. Can't add BPF
filters as the network is heterogeneous and I want to catch as much traffic
as possible, despite its src/dst port (I have detected some webservices in
weird ports).

I still have the same questions I posted in my first mail:

* What does exactly "tcp.reassembly_memuse" mean and in which units it is
measured? If it's measured in bytes I'm getting more than 18 Exabytes of
memory usage !!!

* I believe "tcp.segment_memcap_drop" means packets received by suricata
(thus counted in "capture.kernel_packets") but couldn't get to the (stream
or reassembly?) processor for further treatment. Which processor is the
right one? How can I reduce its value?

* I believe "tcp.stream_depth_reached" gets incremented each time the
"stream.reassembly.depth" is reached, but no packets are dropped here, they
are passed to other processors for further inspection without being
reassembled. Is this right?

* What does exactly "tcp.reassembly_gap" mean?

Thank you very much,

Regards,

Jose Vila.