[Oisf-users] pcap's on alerts

Jay M. jskier at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 01:24:43 UTC 2015

Yes, I believe the setting you are looking at is all monitored packets
by suricata. Alert debugging is also verbose and useful, but not a
pcap.

In the beta 2.1 series, you can turn on packet under alert logging
which will create a KV pair for one 'packet' per alert in the eve.log
(so, not all packets, only alerts). The value will be in base64
encoding. It will allow you to decode fairly easily with scapy and a
python script.

I'm working on a python script pre rotate to pull out all alert
packets every time I rotate the eve.log (every hour to 6 hours
depending on time of day). Once I get it wrapped up (tuning json,
decoding was easy part) I'll post it.

--
Jay
jskier at gmail.com