[Oisf-users] Questions on suricata configuration

Andreas Herz andi at geekosphere.org
Tue Jan 20 15:21:11 UTC 2015

On 20/01/15 at 17:05, unite wrote:
> On 2015-01-20 16:30, Andreas Herz wrote:
> >On 20/01/15 at 16:22, unite wrote:
> >>b) If my iptables rules are like this and the rule is set to "alert":
> >>Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
> >> pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
> >>destination
> >>    1     84 NFQUEUE    all  --  *      *       172.25.25.0/24
> >>0.0.0.0/0            NFQUEUE num 0
> >>    1     84 DROP       icmp --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0
> >>0.0.0.0/0
> >>The alert is generated (in fast.log, drop.log is empty)and packet is
> >>being
> >>dropped. I'm pretty sure that it is the same packet - counters for
> >>packets/bytes increment simultaneously and on same values, and also my
> >>testing host is the only one in the testing network - no one can
> >>generate it
> >>except me.
> >
> >That's strange, how do you start suricata in inline mode exactly?
> >(arguments)
> >I will check on my setup if i can reproduce it.
> >

> I start it in the way:
>
> sudo suricata -c /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml -q 0 -D

Hmm can you try it without -D to see if it's the daemon mode?
There was some difference, not sure if it was this one :)

I checked it with my setup (without -D) and couldn't get anything.
I did:

iptables -A IDS -j LOG --log-prefix="IDSTEST: "

But no packet got there, all got into the NFQEUE (which is before) and
never came back.

> >>My config at the moment is not far away from default - so here is the
> >>diff
> >>between them:
> >>sudo diff suricata-2.0.5/suricata.yaml /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml
> >
> >I would encourage you to update to 2.0.6, there is a relevant bugfix.
> >
> >I guess (to lazy to check) the enabled lines are the ones for logging?!
>
> Yes, enabled yes/no lines are used for logging.

Then nothing should be wrong with this.

> >I'm not sure how the profile option changes the behaviour but the rest
> >looks fine.
>
> As I've read in the guide, it should increase performance in cost of
> increased memory usage.

Just something you need to play around with.

--
Andreas Herz