[Oisf-users] Make a Ubuntu as a gateway router + Suricatainline probe.

Liao Zhuodi liao_zd at foxmail.com
Mon Jan 26 09:11:27 UTC 2015

Hi Alex,

Thanks for "NFQ" section, my configuration misses that part, now it is working. Here is my setups, but I am not sure if this the best/efficiency way, I am quite new to network, if I am doing wrong, please comment me, thanks.

WAN: wlan0
LAN: eth0, static IP, and all traffic go through this NIC out to internet
- suricata.yaml

  nfq:
     mode: accept

- setup for ubuntu to act as a router

  # all packets will be sent to suricata, and will not be inspected by the rest of the iptables rules

  iptables -I FORWARD -j NFQUEUE --queue-num 0

  # make it as a router
  iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o wlan0 -j MASQUERADE
  echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr

  # offload to CPU
  ethtool --offload eth0 rx off tx off

- start suricata:

  sudo suricata -c /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml -q 0
- And after run all of above, here are two working iptables rules:

  Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
   pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
   7750K 1972M NFQUEUE    all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            NFQUEUE num 0

  Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 46 packets, 3169 bytes)
   pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
   5982  561K MASQUERADE  all  --  *      wlan0   0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

Suricata can drop/reject/alert payloads, and all internal computers can access internet through the suricata box, but i am uncertain about this "iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o wlan0 -j MASQUERADE" is right or not?

Best regards,
Liao