[Oisf-users] EXTERNAL: Re: autofp vs workers - updated comparison?

Eric Leblond eric at regit.org
Wed Jul 22 06:43:53 UTC 2015

Hello,
Le 22 juil. 2015 1:59 AM, "Cooper F. Nelson" <cnelson at ucsd.edu> a écrit :

> Details are in Documentation/networking/packet_mmap.txt
>
> > In the AF_PACKET fanout mode, packet reception can be load balanced among
> > processes. This also works in combination with mmap(2) on packet sockets.
> >
> > Currently implemented fanout policies are:
> >
> >   - PACKET_FANOUT_HASH: schedule to socket by skb's packet hash
> >   - PACKET_FANOUT_LB: schedule to socket by round-robin
> >   - PACKET_FANOUT_CPU: schedule to socket by CPU packet arrives on
> >   - PACKET_FANOUT_RND: schedule to socket by random selection
> >   - PACKET_FANOUT_ROLLOVER: if one socket is full, rollover to another
> >   - PACKET_FANOUT_QM: schedule to socket by skbs recorded queue_mapping
>
> - From what I can tell, if a packet socket is full you will still drop
> packets from the last flow that was pinned to that socket.

No there is no flow based load balancing in rolloverode. So no drop on the flow.

However, new
> flows will not be assigned to that socket, rather they are "rolled over"
> to another socket.

Yes but that is not the interesting part. What is more interesting is the 'rollover' socket option: You keep your usual load balancing and if this is activated then the kernel will send packet to a new socket.

> - -Coop
>
> On 7/21/2015 3:25 PM, Rasmor, Zachary R wrote:
> > Hello Eric,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply, this definitely sounds interesting. One
> > question...My understanding was that it is necessary for all packets
> > belonging to a given flow to be processed by the same worker thread.
> > Am I mistaken?

No there is no need to have a perfect pinning but pinning will help a lot on performance side.

And if my understanding is correct, how does this work